Sunday, January 16, 2011

Daniel Greer Broken Arts Interview

Who are you and what do you do?
My name is Daniel Greer. I co-front a band called The DGB with my brother and also play solo shows.

You just finished up a big tour at the end of last year. Can you tell us a bit about that?
I spent 10 weeks on the road last year with The DGB and I wasn't quite ready to go back to work so, before it got too cold to tour, I booked one final tour of the year, and the final tour promoting the Victory Song albums. I did ten nights in Quebec, including six in Montreal. That whole time I was touring with Pi from Montreal. After that I did another week and a half in southern Ontario. Playing solo allows me to play smaller venues and play with different acts, do a much more intimate show, and really connect with the audience.


You were touring to promote your debut solo album Victory Song 2.0 which you've called a sequel to the DGB album Victory Song. How does your solo music differ from The DGB's?
I try to overlap the two projects. When I am touring solo I am still promoting The DGB and doing some songs from DGB records. The music on Victory Song 2.0 does differ quite a bit, though. The passion, aggression, and intensity is the same but it is done in a totally stripped-down manner (just me and a 12-string, occasionally with light percussion in the background). The songs are also a lot more personal. With The DGB the songs are more general. We write lyrics that could be interpreted in different ways and mean different things to different people. My solo record really gave me a chance to vent and write a much more personal album.

What's in store for 2011 then?
#1 priority is going to be the new DGB record. The plan is to slow down with gigging and really concentrate on that. I'll still be doing solo shows and the odd DGB show but we really need a break from gigging to give this new record our all. We're looking at a mid-summer to early-fall release and a coast-to-coast Canadian tour in the fall to follow. Gonna be a big year.

And what can people expect from Daniel Greer at Soundtracked 11?
You can expect a very passionate, one-man rock and roll show. I generally shock people with the energy and output I put into my solo work. This isn't your typical singer-songwriter stuff. I will be doing a handful of songs from the Victory Songalbums and possibly testing out a couple new ones I've been working on for the next DGB record.

No comments:

Post a Comment